Saturday, December 11, 2010

40 Degree Weather? Yes, Please!

Every week, the temperature drops by a few degrees. I would say it's because of this fact that I am getting more and more used to the cold.

I no longer feel sorry for people who complain that it's cold back home. The wind chill here is serious! It makes the weather feel so much colder than it really is. For example, 35 degrees here feels quite different than 35 degrees there. I have now become one of those people who think 40 degrees is a FANTASTIC day for weather. I might even say that 50 degrees is... hot.

Next week we'll be in single digits, and at some point next year we'll probably go below zero. I can't even imagine what that's going to feel like!

So what do I have to look forward to these days? Snow. I LOVE walking in fresh snow and seeing the streets covered in soft white powder. The days that it snows are actually warmer than days that don't- it's so strange psychologically because the most beautiful, crystal clear days when the sun in sparkling and the skies are bright blue are the most bitter cold.

The thing I've really come to hate weather-wise is the rain. Man, rain sucks in Chicago!!! Mostly it's because of the wind- and to be honest, I think that rain is worse than snow here. It is a total pain in the ass to walk in, and you need an umbrella made of steel to weather the storms.

Despite the extreme cold and harsh weather conditions, I am (for the most part!) enjoying the winter season. Everything is decked out for Christmas, and the holiday spirit is all around us. I'm just hoping that this newfound excitement will carry me through my first winter here in Chicago.

Let's just pray that I don't slip on the ice and fall on my ass.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment