Saturday, August 7, 2010

Road Trip!

Well friends, we made it safely to Evanston and are currently in the midst of getting settled.  So far, the weather has been treating us well, and everyday there is something new and great to experience.  I am really enjoying living downtown so far, and I seriously can't get enough of the Midwest love!

The drive out here was definitely an experience I'll never forget.  At first, I didn't even want to think about a road trip.  Our initial plans were to pack up and take the first flight out to Chicago... but after much thought, we decided that it would make more sense to do the drive.  Plus, it would be an opportunity for me to go a few places I probably never would have planned on visiting.

First stop was Vegas.  It was hot as hell, but I had a great time there.  I still get paranoid every time the weather gets crazy hot because it reminds me of when I was hospitalized for dehydration/exhaustion about 3 years ago... but I ate well, stayed hydrated, and rested so there was nothing to worry about!  We stayed at the Encore, which I have to say I enjoyed much more than the Wynn.  The suite alone was incredible, and it didn't hurt that it was super cheap for midweek summer deals!



Notable mentions in VEGAS:

-Beef noodle soup from Noodle Asia at the Venetian.  Scott's foodie friend swears by it, and because of his reputation for knowing good food + the fact he was also Chinese gave us the confidence we needed to try it out.  It was a little pricey, which is expected in Vegas, but I have to say that I was very impressed!  Flavors were really good and it hit the spot for our first late night meal.  All the waiters and cooks were Chinese, so it felt like it was going to be the real deal.  We also had the black peppered beef stir fry noodles and chinese sausage and broccoli stem fried rice which were tasty, but the highlight was definitely the beef noodle soup.



-European pool at the Encore.  No one actually goes topless, but it was nice having a 21+ crowd w/o kids running all over the place.  It was very relaxed and the crowd was hip and cool.. Scott thought it would be funny to take a picture here.  Apparently, he really did look like a Pool Boy because a woman came over and asked him where she could get bottled water!



-ALEX restaurant at the Wynn.  I swear Steve Wynn is a genius and just knows what people want in a great hotel.  Between the Wynn and the Encore, the good eats are never-ending.  I have eaten at my fair share of amazing restaurants in the world, but this one takes the cake by a landslide... seriously the best dining experience of my life.  It is completely worth a trip out to Vegas for a special occasion!  The only way to do it is to go for the seasonal 7-course menu.  In-freakin-credible.  Just try it and you will thank me later.



After Vegas, we drove through Arizona for a little bit, then Utah to Denver, which was a gruesome 12 hours.  It definitely was the hardest leg of the trip and driving through those damn Rockies was pretty scary at times.  On a positive note, I did enjoy the scenic route- there is something so beautiful about the crazy rock formations... pictures don't do it justice.



So Denver.  I was very underwhelmed by this city!  I hope I don't offend anyone who hails from this area, but I guess I was expecting a lot more.  It was a quaint town and the people were very nice, but for some reason it just wasn't my favorite.  Maybe staying downtown wasn't the way to go?  The only two things that stick in my memory were the abundance of pawn shops and how many Cubs fans ruled the city.  They were in town to support their team play the Rockies- the Cubs have quite a following when they travel, which is pretty impressive.  We stayed pretty close to the ball park, and I swear I don't think I saw a single Rockies fan anywhere!!



Notable mentions for Denver:
-a cute little area called Larimer Square
-Snooze cafe for brunch.  Upside-down pineapple pancakes and coffee were delish~

It wasn't until about this point of the road trip that I really started to feel far from home.  It was almost like a fun game to point out Japanese or German cars; gas stations, fast food chains, and convenience stores were unfamiliar... I found comfort in junk food, which is of course totally acceptable and healthy on all road trips.



Now it was onto Omaha, which was the most pleasant surprise.  I honestly did not have high expectations, and considering the way I felt about Denver, I certainly was not excited.  This leg of the trip was easier- about 8 hours this time and much easier to drive.  It's funny how things work out, but this was actually my favorite stop (after Vegas) en route to Chicago.  What I remember most about Nebraska is all the green... and I can't really explain it, but there was just something different and really nice about the area.  I was also very impressed with their downtown "Old Market" area, which a local described as "a poor man's version of the Gaslamp District."  Apparently rent (and the cost of living) is dirt cheap there- I found out the average apartment was only $500 per month!  Below is a pic of all the barrels of hay I saw alongside the road... it reminded me of a challenge from the Amazing Race, my fav tv show.



Notable mentions for Omaha:
-The "Old Market"
-Upstream (freakin awesome!) restaurant where I had the BEST Omaha ground sirloin burger and homeade creamy rootbeer.  I even got a complimentary big scoop of vanilla ice cream to help me finish it at the end of my meal. =)

For the last major leg of the trip, we did another 8 hour drive through Iowa.  All I remember were fields and fields and fields and fields of corn forever.  And that is all.



At long last, we arrived in Chicago.  Of course, we had to pick up where we left off on the deep dish pizza tour.  I had previously been to Lou Malnati's, and this time, it was Gino's East.  We had the spinach deep dish, which I really enjoyed!  Since then I've also tried Giordani's, which I think is currently in the lead.  I used to think I was a New York pizza girl at heart, but I think I'm crossing over to the other side!!



The last stop: Evanston.  I can't wait to tell everyone how beautiful this town is.  We're living in the best part of downtown- walking distance from everything, including the train (which is a quick ride into downtown Chicago) and also the lake, which is so huge it looks like an ocean.



Look out for the next entry, which will be about everything Evanston!

No comments:

Post a Comment