Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Live Your Best Life

Oprah says it best.

It sounds so simple, really.  Why is it then, that so many of us don't do it?  I suppose everyone has their own reasons- understandable and legit reasons- that continue to hold them back.  So maybe the real question at hand is what you are willing to do to change that?

Last night I was watching Revolutionary Road and was once again reminded of the four words that have become my motto for this new year (and hopefully the rest of my life).

Live your best life.

For me personally, living my best life in this current moment means taking advantage of living in an incredible city rich with history and culture.  After my two years pass in Chicago, who knows when the next time will be that I'll get to do something like this again.

During the past few months, I feel like I haven't been able to enjoy being in this city as much as I would have liked to.  I have become a working machine, only stopping to eat, sleep, and commute. And ohhhh, the commute.  It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

In a recent conversation with my younger brother, he mentioned that there aren't many easy ways to cut out unhappiness or unwanted stress in your life... but as it turns out, cutting out a long commute could make all the difference.

He was right.  To make a long story short, I decided to take a new job ridiculously close to home (ladies and gentleman, it will take me all but two minutes to walk there).  It wasn't the easiest decision to make, especially because I really did enjoy working for my previous employer... but it had to be done.

Sometimes living your best life means taking big risks.  Sometimes there will be sacrifices made. There's definitely the chance things may not turn out the way you envisioned and hoped for, but how will you know if you never tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment